Toronto Red X5 M Competition to stay in plant’s historic collection
BMW announced today that its Spartanburg, S.C., manufacturing facility built its 5-millionth vehicle on June 4. The milestone vehicle is a Toronto Red Metallic BMW X5 M Competition equipped with a 617-horsepower M TwinPower Turbo V-8 engine with Silverstone Full Merino Leather interior and 21/22-inch M Star-spoke bi-color wheels. Pricing starts at $115,095, including the freight charge.
But this BMW will not go to an eager owner. Instead, it will remain at the factory and become part of the BMW historic collection.
“This BMW X5 M Competition is a symbol of the success of our products and the commitment and dedication of our associates and supplier network,” Knudt Flor, president and CEO of BMW Manufacturing said in a statment. “Every BMW X5 in the world comes from Plant Spartanburg. We are proud to call South Carolina home!”
More than half of all BMWs sold in U.S. are built in Spartanburg, according to Bernhard Kuhnt, president and CEO, BMW of North America. “BMW Group has long considered the United States to be our second home and we are proud to say that the U.S. is in fact home to the biggest BMW plant in the world. We congratulate our colleagues on this historic achievement.”
Production milestones at BMW manufacturing:
• 1 millionth BMW – Feb. 28, 2006 – Z4 M Roadster
• 1.5 millionth BMW – Sept. 8, 2009 – BMW X6 xDrive35i
• 2 millionth BMW – Jan. 12, 2012 – BMW X3 xDrive35i
• 2.5 millionth BMW – Sept. 17, 2013 – BMW X5 xDrive50i
• 3 millionth BMW – March 24, 2015 – BMW X5 M
• 3.5 millionth BMW – May 18, 2016 – BMW X4 xDrive20i
• 4 millionth BMW – Sept. 8, 2017 – BMW X3 xDrive M40i
• 4.5 millionth BMW – March 7, 2019 – BMW X7 xDrive40
• 5 millionth BMW – June 4, 2020 – BMW X5 M Competition
The South Carolina plant also celebrated two important milestones last year:
• 25 years of production and a record year of 411,620 vehicles built.
• In 2019, Plant Spartanburg led the nation in automotive exports by value for the sixth consecutive year, with a total export value of approximately $9.6 billion. Nearly 70 percent of the plant’s total production was exported from 2010 – 2019.