Third-generation 2022 Nissan Frontier is about the same size as before and with a standard V-6 powertrain
Nissan just released details today on the 2022 Pathfinder SUV and Frontier midsize pickup.
As said senior VP for Global Design for Nissan Motor Co. Alfonso Albaisa in the video presentation: “The Frontier has been around for a while.”
It had become the elder of midsize pickups, with the second-gen model on sale since 2005.
The new Nissan Frontier is about the same size as before but a complete re-engineering with some exterior styling cues from Nissan’s full-size Titan pickup. Look for its “brutally vertical face” and interlocking-style grille.
It will debut with a simplified build order. There is one powertrain choice of a V-6 engine and a nine-speed automatic transmission. As before, there will be rear- or four-wheel drive. And there will be two body-style configurations of King Cab and Crew cab, in short- or long-wheelbase lengths.
Pricing was not announced today, but don’t expect it to be far off from the Chevrolet Colorado, Ford Ranger, or Toyota Tacoma. Find Nissan pricing here.
Nissan Frontier Powertrain
- 310-hp, direct-injected 3.8-liter V-6; 281-lb.-ft. torque;
- 9-speed automatic transmission with 7-position drive mode, with tow mode;
- 4WD with high and low gearing transfer case;
- Top payload: 1,610 pounds – 2WD
- Standard wheelbase (SWB): 210.2 in.;
- Overall length: 210.2 in. SWB; 224.2-in, LWB;
- Width: 73 in.
- Length: 59.5 in. for SWB Crew Cab S/SV; 58.9 inches for PRO model; 73.3 in. – LWB Crew Cab and standard King Cab
- Width: 61.4 in. (at C-Channel);
- Depth: 19.4 in.
- King Cab: S, SV – 2WD or 4WD;
- Crew Cab: S, SV – 2WD or 4WD;
- PRO-X (2WD only), PRO-4X (4WD only)
- Crew Cab long wheelbase: SV 2WD, SV 4WD
Frame and suspension
- Heavy-duty fully boxed ladder frame;
- Double-wishbone front suspension with twin-tube shock absorbers; overslung rear multi-leaf with a solid axle;
- 6,720-lb. maximum tow capacity;
- 16- or 17-inch wheel packages with tires sizes of 265/70R16, 265/65R17 or 265/70R17
- 8 airbags
- Standard Intelligent Forward Collision Warning;
- Optional Traffic Sign Recognition and Nissan Safety Shield 360 on every trim
Around view monitor with an off-road front view; an optional 9-inch display screen; 4-liter center console capacity; Zero-gravity front seats; electric power steering; digital dashboard; head-up display; Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, with optional wireless versions.Read more